Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I have been wavering, second guessing myself in this decision to unschool. I look at what the kids have done and I don't feel like it is enough and I have doubts.

They are spending a lot of time on the computer, doing lots of interesting and amazing things, figuring things out that I don't know how to do.

They are also spending a lot of time with creative play... they make up games and stories and act those stories out with each other and with their toys.

I read to them, usually they also read to themselves.

Kya likes playing hangman right now. Jace is winding down from a Lego frenzy.

I can't help but wonder, is this enough? Am I doing the right thing? But everytime I consider going back to the old ways, even really relaxed things, my stomach clenches, I feel like I'm throwing in the towel too quickly. I will continue down this path and see where it leads because I know I can retrace my steps later if I really need to.

Motherhood should come with a crystal ball.

3 comments:

Conman said...

Hello there, Kimster from MDC!
Just started blogging myself, and thought I'd leave you a comment, lol!
(always nice to know someone is actually reading our posts eh?)

Mom of a bunch of great kids... said...

Hope,
I struggle with the same things. It's so hard to let go of everything "mainstream." My kids are "behind" grade level(s) in many areas, but excelling in others. Sage is not really reading yet. Charlotte's reading at grade level but spelling at a third grade level (but showing great progress with Big IQ kids online) It all scares me to death. Just wanted to offer my support!

Hope said...

Thanks Shauna! It is scary but I just have to remind myself that the alternative is also scary- and this way feels less scary to me right now so I keep plugging along. :)