Thursday, May 28, 2009

Unschooling is a pretty ironic lifestyle choice for me. I am a control freak... I like being in charge and imparting my wisdom in order to "help" others. I'm working on it and I have made great strides to improve this about myself but I still get a slight stomach ache when I feel out of control.

Most recently the source of my anxiety is that I am having a very hard time with the duration of the down time in our natural ebb and flow of life. I had observed this for many months and had come to accept that the kids would go through periods of less activity, less focused interest, less traditonal learning. However this most recent period of relaxation has lasted for quite some time and it is making me want to force them to crack open a math book or check something educational out at the library. I don't really know why it is bothering me so much, my kids are doing fine, better than fine in fact since they both read and do math above what is considered their grade level.

I also realize that more has been going on than I often notice because the further we travel into unschooling the more life and learning is blurred. I tell myself this is good, that natural learning, completely part of, not seperate from, life is the goal but still that feeling that I've lost control lingers...

1 comment:

Mary Alice said...

I know exactly what you mean. We unschool more than I admit because so many people who love us have a problem with the word 'unschool'. I don't need their negativity so I don't talk about it. But I worry too. You know my kiddo has had a real math block and struggled with keeping the info she took in. But today making hummingbird 'water' brought back the cups in a pint, pints in a quart, quarts in a gallon, etc. discussion and by golly she really does know it just because measuring stuff makes sense to her 'in my real world' as she says.